Monday, September 15, 2008

Up and Running

First, some personal good news to share. All of Aqua Man's family are safe, healthy, and doing okay in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike. It was a terrifying experience for many of them, and so scary from this end not knowing if they were making it through intact. Most of them still have lots to deal with, some more than others, in terms of the aftermath, but all are safe, and we are so thankful for this. For others who did not fair as well in the wake of Hurricane Ike, still our hearts are with them.

Second, I am back up and running, er, walking to be more exact. I'm on day three of barely using my crutches and for the most part doing so entirely pain free. I can still feel my knee talk back to me if I move it just so, but I have come so far in my healing. Just four weeks ago I was in so much pain I was only mentally projecting myself into this place, trying to remember what it used to feel like before the pain, trying to remember what it was like to walk without wincing. At times the pain would spike so strong that I wasn't sure I would be able to get to the other side of it, or if there was another side to get to at all. Now I have arrived at this point, and for this I am so, so thankful.

And, lastly, on a slightly lighter note, I have to say that I have never been so happy to arrive at Monday morning. Or for a weekend to end. It truly felt like one thing after the other (some trivial), after the other (some not); worrying about Aqua Man's family, staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching hurricane coverage and, watching tornado and flood warnings in our area, our basement filling with water in response to all of the rain, precious pictures sitting in stagnant water with all the yet to be unpacked boxes joining them, our roof dripping in our den as the rain kept coming, and coming, The Kid waking up in the middle of the night crying, not feeling well. By early Saturday morning, a trip to the doctor revealed that The Kid had developed a nasty ear infection, and all the while we were preparing for our small house warming party that seemed to need still so much to be done to host. More rain, more rain, flood advisories, trips to the pharmacy and finally.....we threw in the towel, and canceled our party. And you know what? In the end, it felt damn good. There, I said it. Instead, we just stayed home, all three of us, the rain and The Kid's ear infection, and the state of our ridiculous basement (given the context), influencing us to stay put together. And it turned out to be a welcome relief.

Like my BFF from H.S. puts it, sometimes when things are just not going right with trying to get something done it seems like life is talking back to you, telling you the timing is off. The Universe is telling you, 'Hey, this just isn't gonna happen!' Things are not lining up and they are not going to, no matter how hard you try to make it so; it's not the right time, clue in!' This is what it felt like this past weekend, regarding the trivial things.

Response to Universe regarding this past weekend: We heard you loud and clear.

Or as The Kid puts it:
Roger, roger.
Over. And out.


Cindy said...

I'm glad to read that you are recovering!! Sorry about the family. :( I hope all goes well and that you have a great weekend!

Yoga Grl said...

Thanks for your well wishes and for continuing to read. Hope you have a great weekend,too!