Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pay As You Go Garbage: Or, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I just found out that in our new neighborhood-to-be we have to pay $2.85 for each bag of garbage that we want the city to pick up on garbage day. Rather than billing you a flat rate as a utility bill, you pay each week, per bag. You purchase stickers ahead of time and put them on each bag. You also pay for your own paper lawn care bags and put the same stickers on them.

Recycling pick up, on the other hand, is FREE.

From what I found out yesterday, they appear to take a great deal of items for recycling, and they aren't fussy about the type of container you put out, or sorting items. I am on my way to buy recycling bins right now.

I am really interested to see how this system plays out in our everyday life. I think it will be a great opportunity for us to find ways to reduce, reuse and recycle and make more mindful choices.

No comments: