Thursday, January 24, 2008

OW!!!

Who could have known that what started out as a harmless, half hour home yoga practice session this morning at 11:30 a.m. would leave me painfully sore only 10 hours later? All I can say right now is "OW!!" Wanting to shake things up a bit today, I decided to try a power yoga class which airs on a local public television channel and, wouldn't you know it, it was all about increasing arm strength, specifically, the top of the shoulders. Oh, yea! Arms. *Insert sarcasm here.* I also took The Kid to the park for about 2 1/2 hours today where he practiced skate boarding, which entails him pulling on my right arm/side most of the time. I must say though, he really is getting the hang of it!

But here's what I really learned today from my half-hour power-yoga-public-television-access-home-practice: laying off my regular yoga practice program for the past four and a half weeks--holiday schedule changes, traveling and my general inability to stay balanced through the holiday onslaught--led me to lose about 50% off my arm strength in about 31 days. This was a sad reality to face, as I had been really focusing on building arm strength lately. (Note: It took about 3 months, or about 90 days to build it up.) Bummer. I'm not judging, I'm just saying.

Well, here's hoping I can find my Tiger Balm and, hey, maybe I'll get a back rub, too. Throw in a couple of cups of hot tea and an extra long hot shower, and I just might be able to stand up-right tomorrow without frowning. Oh, sweet balance. Come back to me.

No comments: