Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So Much Time

Recently The Kid's school hosted an Open-House night where he was able to take us through his class room, and show us all of the cool things that he has been working on in first grade. The Kid was equally excited about this night, not only to show off all of his hard work, but because all of the kids would be given the chance to visit other classrooms to check them out. This meant that The Kid would be able to check out the "big kid rooms," including Sixth Grade! That's right, I said, SIXTH GRADE!!! This was going to be the highlight of his week. We arrived at school, and The Kid took us straight to his room, running from area to area, so proud and excited about what he'd been learning. We were able to see his desk, his folder of work, the classroom fish, the caterpillars they had just received for their new science unit, the math projects, and a cool mural that all of the first graders painted just for this special night. After showing us all of this, a bit breathless, The Kid declared, "Okay, that's it! Mom, Dad, let's go check out the other rooms!" So began "the room previews." First we stopped in the second grade classrooms, then down the hall to all three sixth grade classrooms, then to the two fifth grade classrooms, and then back to first grade, this time visiting the other class rooms. We definitely covered it all. And, in each room he would walk around, checking out the desks, the projects, taking it all in. Over all, he decided that it all seemed pretty cool, and do-able, like, "Hey! Sixth graders have a class pet, too. Wow, just like us."

With the approaching end of the year, and the experience of the Open House, The Kid has really been thinking about what's coming next. So when we were sitting down eating lunch the other day, The Kid and I had the following conversation:

The Kid: "Mom, this summer, when people ask me what grade I'm in, what do I tell them? I mean I won't be a first grader anymore, but I'm not really a second grader, yet"

Me: "Well, you can tell them that you are starting second grade in the fall."

Pause.

Me: "You know, I can't believe that you are finishing first grade, and heading into second grade next year. What happened to that little baby you used to be?!"

The Kid: "Mom! Well, you had a A LOT of days with me when I was a baby. You had to first go through 2003, then 2004, then 2005, then 2006, then 2007, then 2008, then 2009, and now it's 2010. And, here I am!!"
------------
Yes, all of those days. Days I sat and held you, rocked you, fed you, took you to parks, play-groups, classes, the beach, and on and on and on. I am thankful for each and everyone of those days we had together. And, for each day and experience we have together now, as you grow, change, and become more and more your own amazing person.

I look back at all of the time that has passed, the beginning of our time together, and I am content that, when I look at your baby pictures, I can remember what it felt like to hold you, your weight in my arms, your baby smell, and then all of the exciting moments that followed. For sure, every day wasn't easy, or perfect, or wonderful. For sure, the joy and expansion of love in my life couldn't have been known. And, I am thankful for every hour, every day, every week, every month, and every year that I have been your mom; the joy, the tears, all of it. So much time. And how fast the time goes.


No comments: