Friday, October 3, 2008

Before We Get To Tonight, We've Got To Get Through This

As I wrote yesterday, The Kid is psyched for the new Clone Wars weekly show which premiers tonight. However, before he can even think about this exciting event, he has been looking forward to watching his very favorite show "Fetch!" And, today is a most exciting event. A special, extended Fetch mini-marathon, if you will.

When I say "looking forward to" I mean that The Kid has been very persistent in tracking exactly when this show will play. He's been asking "When will it come on? Is today the day? No? Hmmm. How about tomorrow? No? Okay, well maybe you should write it on the calendar so you don't forget (I did!). Then, maybe we should look at the calendar again just to make sure we haven't mixed the days up and somehow missed the show." He's been asking about it while he's eating, getting ready for school, taking a shower, going to bed, and pretty much every other moment.

Now, in all fairness, I can be quite the TV junky myself. I have been known to write the premiers of beloved TV shows in my personal planner. I've been known to lock myself in our bedroom at night to take a break from life by watching reruns of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", uninterrupted, even though I've seen them all at least 5 times (Hey, it chills me out! I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't like video games. It's my form of escapism, what can I say.). So, I get where The Kid is coming from. Looking forward to a TV show can feel like a major event is going to happen. I get it, I really do. I just don't dog people incessantly about my favorite shows for days and sometimes weeks on end. I guess that's just one of the differences between being 38 years old and being 5 1/2 years old. When you're my age, obsessive-compulsive tendencies are no longer seen as "cute."

So, finally Fetch is on (!), and just to add a bit more excitement for him, I picked him up from school and, as a surprise, I brought him cookies baked by Aqua Man last night (They were very good. Thanks Aqua Man!). That's a pretty good start to his big Friday night, if I do say so myself.

However, after the cookies were consumed, I realized, perhaps too late, that I may be slightly out of my mind to mix double chocolate fudge cookies with extended cartoon watching. But, what can I say, that's how I do it.

No comments: